CEREC crowns offer treatment in a single visit.
If you need to repair a tooth with a crown, you will be happy to know that dental technology and techniques have come a long way. Traditionally, patients would have to make at least two visits to the dentist and wait weeks for the entire procedure to be completed. Today, dentists can use Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics (CEREC) to offer same-day results. This treatment uses digital imaging and other advancements to accelerate the process without compromising quality. If you have been considering CEREC or this is the first time you have heard about this option, here is what to expect during your same day crown visit.
Set aside two hours of your day for CEREC.
Once you have gone through an evaluation, received a dentist’s recommendation that you get a crown, and chosen to go the CEREC route, you should expect your appointment to take up to two hours. Keep in mind that 30 to 45 minutes of this time will be spent waiting as your tooth is created and perfected. That means that you might want to bring a book or some other form of entertainment to pass the time as you wait.
Your dentist will spend some time preparing your tooth to receive the crown. In many cases, this includes removing any damaged and decayed tissue and creating a surface that will bond well with the ceramic crown. Before the dentist goes to work preparing your tooth, they will administer numbing agents and other pain and anxiety medications to make sure that you are as comfortable as possible.
Traditionally, dentists would get an impression of your teeth by using a mold tray filled with a gooey substance. Patients would have to bite into the trays and sit for a period of time while the impression set. The mold would then be sent away to a specialist who would use it to create a crown. This process would take about three weeks and then you would have to return to have the finishing touches put on the crown to ensure a comfortable fit and bite. While this process isn’t painful, it can be slightly uncomfortable and necessitates using a temporary crown until the permanent version is completed.
With CEREC, dentists can use digital imaging to create a 3D image of your teeth. A safe and tasteless powder is applied to your teeth so that the images are clear and accurate and then the tooth is printed and milled in-office. The 3D imagery creates an incredibly accurate ceramic crown.
Once the crown has been created, your dentist will secure it in place and make any last-minute adjustments to ensure a comfortable fit and an aligned bite. In two hours or less, you can walk out of the dentist’s office with a completed crown and a fully repaired tooth.
How long do CEREC crowns last?
In general, a CEREC crown is expected to last 10 to 15 years. However, patients can prolong the life of their crown with proper care. Be sure to brush and floss regularly, avoid sugary foods, and work closely with your dentist to maintain your overall oral health.
What are the advantages of CEREC crowns?
- Many patients choose the CEREC route because of the convenience. Everything can be completed in one visit and you don’t have to worry about dealing with a temporary crown while your permanent one is being manufactured. If you are on a tight schedule or you simply don’t want the hassle of multiple visits, a CEREC crown could be the right solution for you.
- CEREC patients also don’t have to worry about the messy process of making traditional impressions. The digital scanning process is completely comfortable and provides accurate imaging.
- No matter what type of crown you choose, there will be some drilling involved in order to remove decayed tissue. With CEREC, there is less drilling required because of the accuracy of the digital imaging. You can keep more of your original tooth and avoid excessive drilling.
- CEREC ceramic crowns will match your existing teeth. Your new crown will blend seamlessly with the rest of your teeth for a natural look that will allow you to show off your smile with confidence.
- Ceramic crowns offer lasting strength. You might assume that same-day crowns won’t offer the same strength as traditional crowns, but you don’t have to sacrifice quality for convenience. These crowns are made using the best in strong and durable ceramic materials for a final product that can withstand constant use.
CEREC represents the future of dental crowns. If you need to replace a broken tooth, CEREC offers a range of benefits over traditional treatments. Now that you know what to expect and have answers to your most pressing questions, you can make the right decision for you based on your needs.
Whether you decide to go the traditional route or opt for CEREC crowns, the experienced team at Tomasik Family Dental of Bee Cave, Texas, is here to help. We provide comfortable, convenient, and affordable dentistry services to meet the needs of all our clients. Call us today to learn more and schedule an appointment today.